Pages

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Forget Candy, Give Books

Img2013-02-02_0003pm

My new resolution is to change up my mantel at the beginning of each month. I'm hoping that will help me embrace my little word for the year. Onward. January, check. February, check.

The Valentine book page banner inspiration came from Pinterest.

Img2013-02-02_0017pm

So, now that we are in the mood for February, let’s talk about Valentine’s Day.

Do you have favorite traditions? Any great activities or crafts planned?

I give books. (That must come as a shock to you.)

sv

Not that we don’t eat candy around here (my middle son would like to eat it every day, all day long), but books are always my top choice for special little gifts for my kids, even for Valentine’s Day. Surprise!

We have read Saint Valentine retold and illustrated by Robert Sabuda for the past several years. I think the boys are ready for a new perspective on the story, so we are going with Saint Valentine by Ann Tompert this year. As we will be heading into ancient Roman history soon, the timing is perfect.

sv2

If this book didn’t yet grace our bookshelves, it would be my top pick for Lola this year: Isabelle and the Angel.

ia

Georg Hallensleben’s illustrations are dreamy and saturated with color. (His And If the Moon Could Talk is my favorite good night book.)

ia2

Instead, I discovered The Ballad of Valentine by Alison Jackson. The words are meant to be sung to the tune of Oh My Darling, Clementine. If I can manage to pull that off, I think this book will be a huge hit…

bv

Plant a Kiss looks darling (and I’m a fan of Amy Krouse Rosenthal’s The Beckoning of Lovely). Should I add it to Lola’s collection? I think so.

pk

Are you ready for Valentine’s Day?

2 comments:

Jen~ Lipstick and Laundry said...

I love candy, but I L.O.V.E. books more!!

Hannah said...

We don't have any Valentine books, I'm quite ashamed to say, but we've listened many times to the Adventures in Odyssey episode about St. Valentine. Are your kids familiar with that one?

Caroline wants to throw a V-Day party, of course. That girl needs Martha Stewart for a mom!